BYU offers two premium traveler’s insurance plans through GeoBlue to help protect BYU students and BYU employees while traveling abroad. These premium GeoBlue international insurance plans include 100% coverage of up to $250,000 for medical care and medical evacuation, the cost of most prescription medications, and $100,000 of security, natural disaster, and political unrest evacuation coverage. There is no deductible.
To qualify for GeoBlue international insurance, you must be a BYU student or fulltime BYU employee, and you must have continual primary insurance coverage through a primary insurance provider. GeoBlue only covers you during your time abroad. It does not cover continual medical care after you return to the United States. Other benefits and exclusions apply.
Please read through each of these plans carefully before you register or enroll to ensure that you get into the correct plan, otherwise you may not have eligible insurance coverage through GeoBlue while you are abroad.
Full-time BYU Employee Plan
(Only for BYU Business Travelers who are not taking students abroad)
This GeoBlue "Business Traveler" insurance plan is only for full-time BYU employees (Faculty, Admin & Staff) who are going abroad on BYU business (research, conferences, work-related projects, etc.) without students. If you are taking one or more students with you abroad, you do not qualify for this plan. BYU students are not eligible for enrollment in this plan. If you are a study abroad faculty director, Athletics or Performing Arts director, or simply faculty taking students abroad, this plan is NOT for you. You need to enroll in the second plan below, Students, Program Directors, and Coordinators.
In order to qualify for the Business Traveler plan, please keep in mind:
- You must be a full time BYU employee under age 70 to qualify for coverage under this plan.
You must have primary insurance coverage, such as DMBA, while you are abroad in order to qualify for this Business Traveler's plan.
- If your primary insurance is through DMBA and you are leaving the DMBA coverage area for 90 days or more, contact the BYU Benefits Office and review the BYU Benefits Services Out-Of-Area Coverage document.
- The Business Traveler plan is only for international travel less than 180 days per trip.
- This plan will also cover your spouse and dependent children (under age 26). You do not need to register your spouse and dependent children.
- It is your responsibility to seek reimbursement through GeoBlue for any out-of-pocket medical expense you pay for during your time abroad. BYU will not reimburse you for these expenses. In order to receive reimbursement through GeoBlue, you must obtain itemized receipts for all medical expenses and send the GeoBlue Reimbursement Form to GeoBlue.
- This plan does not cover pre-existing conditions or routine dental care.
- GeoBlue provides coverage if you are traveling to US territories, such as Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Since these areas are considered domestic, you wlll access the Blue Cross and Blue Shield network - keep in mind that coverage levels may vary. When you show your GeoBlue ID card at the time of service, participating providers will only bill you for any applicable deductible or copayment.
BYU employees do not need to pay for this insurance plan. The university covers the cost for all full-time BYU employees, but in order to access GeoBlue resources, each employee will need to individually register with GeoBlue. Register using the link below and follow the instructions under the REGISTRATION tab. You will also find additional information on corporate plan's benefits, exclusions and features under the link below.
Register for the Business Traveler Plan
Students, Program Directors, and Coordinators Plan
Group Travelers: If you are a faculty director or a student participant going on a BYU International Study Program (ISP), Athletics Program, or Performing Arts Program, you will automatically be enrolled in GeoBlue insurance as part of your program cost. You DO NOT need to enroll individually.
Individual Travelers: Individual BYU student travelers, or faculty and administrative employees, including faculty leading a student or a small student group abroad, need to enroll in this GeoBlue plan individually. If you fall into one of the following international traveler categories, you will need to enroll by filling out the GeoBlue online enrollment form at the bottom of this page. You will be billed for this insurance through your BYU My Financial Center account, or you can pay with a department account code.
Individual travelers include:
- A BYU student going abroad on an Individual Experience (Individual internship, Law Extern, Ballard Center Intern, ORCA, Gillman, or FLAS scholars).
- A BYU student traveling with a BYU faculty member abroad for international conferences, research, etc.
- A BYU faculty member or administrative employee taking students abroad.
- A BYU ISP, Athletics, or Performing Arts director/employee traveling in order to do advance work for a future BYU student program abroad.
This plan will NOT cover you in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
If you have questions about your enrollment into this GeoBlue insurance plan, visit room 204 HRCB (David M. Kennedy Center), call 801-422-8687; or email email@example.com
Enroll in the Student, Program Director, and Coordinator GeoBlue Plan