International Insurance

BYU offers two premium traveler’s insurance plans through GeoBlue to help protect BYU students and BYU employees while traveling abroad.  These premium GeoBlue international insurance plans include 100% coverage of up to $250,000 for medical care and medical evacuation, and $100,000 of security, natural disaster, and political unrest evacuation coverage. There is no deductible.  

To qualify for GeoBlue international insurance, you must be a BYU student or fulltime BYU employee, and you must have continual primary insurance coverage through a primary insurance provider. GeoBlue only covers you during your time abroad. It does not cover continual medical care after you return to the United States.


Full-time BYU Employees

This GeoBlue "Corporate Traveler" insurance plan is only for full-time BYU employees (Faculty, Admin & Staff) who are going abroad on BYU business (research, conferences, work-realted projects, etc.) without students. BYU students are not eligible for enrollment in this plan. 

Please keep in mind:

  • You must be a full time BYU employee to qualify for coverage under this plan.
  • You must have continual primary insurance coverage, such as DMBA, while you are abroad in order to qualify for this Corporate Traveler's plan.
    • If your primary insurance is through DMBA and you are leaving the DMBA coverage area for 90 days or more, contact the the BYU Benefits Office and review the BYU Benefits Services Out-Of-Area Coverage document.
  • The Corporate Traveler plan is only for international travel less than 180 days per trip.
  • This plan does not cover dependent children, though it does cover your spouse. You do not need to register your spouse.
  • It is your responsibility to seek reimbursement through GeoBlue for any out-of-pocket medical expense you pay for during your time abroad. BYU will not reimburse you for these expenses. In order to receive reimbursement through GeoBlue, you must obtain itemized receipts for all medical and medication expenses you pay for out of pocket.
  • This plan does not cover dental care.

BYU employees do not need to pay for this insurance plan. The university covers the cost for all full-time BYU employees, but in order to access GeoBlue resources, each employee will need to individually register with GeoBlue. Register using the link below and follow the instructions under the REGISTRATION tab.

Register for the Corporate Traveler Plan



Students, Program Directors, and Coordinators

BYU requires that all BYU students going abroad be enrolled in GeoBlue insurance. If you are a faculty leader or a student participant going on a BYU International Study Program, Athletics Program or Performing Arts Program, you will automatically be enrolled in GeoBlue insurance as part of your program cost, do not enroll through the link below.  If you have questions about your group’s enrollment into this GeoBlue insurance plan, visit room 204 HRCB (David M. Kennedy Center), call 801-422-8687; or email

If you fall into one of the international traveler categories below, you will need to enroll individually by filling out the GeoBlue online enrollment form. You can pay for your coverage with a department account code or be billed through your financial center account.

  • A BYU student going abroad on an individual experience (ISP, Law Extern, Ballard Center Intern, ORCA, Gillman, or FLAS scholars).  Taking academic credit or no credit abroad.
  • A BYU student or faculty director of a faculty-led student group abroad (non-ISP, PAM, or Athletics' groups).
  • A BYU faculty, ISP, Athletics, or Performing Arts director, coordinator or manager traveling abroad to advance work for a future BYU student program abroad.  

Enroll in the Student, Program Director, and Coordinator GeoBlue Plan